AAUW’s American Fellowships program has been in existence since 1888, making it the oldest noninstitutional source of graduate funding for women in the United States. The program provides fellowships for women pursuing full-time study to complete dissertations, conducting postdoctoral research full time, or preparing research for publication for eight consecutive weeks.
The primary purpose of the Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship is to increase the number of women in tenure-track faculty positions and to promote equity for women in higher education. This fellowship is designed to assist the candidate in obtaining tenure and further promotions by enabling her to spend a year pursuing independent research.
The fellowship is worth $30,000.
IS FELLOWSHIP ANNUAL?
American Fellowships Program is a yearly award for women pursuing full-time study. You are strongly advised to visit this website regularly to see more scholarship opportunities.
American Fellowships are open to international applicants from all countries. Citizens and permanent residents of USA are also eligible to apply for this scholarship.
WHERE CAN FELLOWSHIP BE TAKEN?
Fellowship can be taken in the United States of America (USA).
WHO CAN APPLY?
- American Fellowships are not open to previous recipients of any AAUW national fellowship or grant (not including branch or local awards or Community Action Grants). Members and officers of the AAUW Board of Directors are not eligible to apply for fellowships and grant awards. AAUW staff or volunteers with decision-making authority who wish to apply for an award must recuse themselves from the decision-making process.
- American Fellowship candidates must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- American Fellowships are open to women scholars in all fields of study.
- American Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship applicants must hold a doctorate classified as a research degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.B.A., D.M.) or an M.F.A at the time of application.
- Tenured professors are not eligible.
- Applicants may not apply for another AAUW national fellowship or grant in the same year.
- Distance learning/online programs: American Fellowships support traditional classroom-based courses of study. This fellowship program does not provide funding for distance learning programs or for degrees heavily dependent on distance learning components. Final decisions about what constitutes distance learning under these fellowships will be made by AAUW.
HOW TO APPLY
Application is online.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
he American Fellowships panel meets once a year to review applications for funding. Awards are based on the selection criteria outlined here. The panel’s recommendations are subject to final approval by the AAUW Board of Directors. Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis according to funds available in a given fiscal year. To ensure a fair and objective review process, AAUW does not comment on the deliberations of its award panels. No provisions exist for reconsidering fellowship proposals after the board has acted. AAUW does not provide evaluations of successful or unsuccessful applications.
Applications and supporting documents become the sole property of AAUW and will not be returned or held for another year.
In selecting fellowship recipients, the following criteria will be considered:
- Applicant’s scholarly excellence.
- Quality of project design.
- Originality of project.
- Scholarly significance of project to the discipline.
- Feasibility of project and proposed schedule.
- Qualifications of applicant.
- Applicant’s commitment to women’s issues in the profession/community.
- Applicant’s mentoring of other women.
- Applicant’s teaching experience.
- Potential of applicant to make a significant contribution to the field.
- Applicant is from an underrepresented racial/ethnic background.
- Applicant is from an underrepresented area of the country and/or type of university other than a top-level research institution.
- Financial Need
The primary criterion for fellowship awards is scholarly excellence. Applications are reviewed by distinguished scholars and should be prepared accordingly.
When comparing proposals of equal merit the review panel will give special consideration to women holding junior academic appointments who are seeking research leave, women who have held the doctorate for at least three years, and women whose educational careers have been interrupted. Preference will also be given to projects that are not simply a revision of the doctoral dissertation.
November 1 2018, by 11:59 p.m (Central Time).Deadline for online submission of application, recommendations, and supporting documents
April 15, 2019Notification of decision emailed to all applicants. AAUW is not able to honor requests for earlier notification.
July 1, 2019–June 30, 2020Fellowship year
When a deadline or notification date falls on a weekend, the date will be observed on the following business day.